Monday, July 3, 2017

Chapter 1   "Let's Begin At The Beginning, Shall We?"

Our 1954 Boles Aero Montecito 
The Orient Express International Luxury Caravan

                            

                  This is how it all started....
 1963 Shasta Compact
Space Sprocket
 
                                             

  

But I digress.... introductions first.  My name is Billie O'Neel and my husband's name is Dave. We are creative project people and now that I think about it, I'm surprised we didn't find vintage trailering sooner, but here we are!  I will tell you it's been a fun, interesting, challenging, back breaking, expensive, tedious, frustrating, hootious, maddening, wonderful, and educational journey. Did I say expensive? Just making sure.....

The purpose of this blog is to inoculate the newbies, give commiseration to those in the middle of a project, and to make the experienced Trailerite laugh.... because, after all, it really is about the fun!

You may have noticed the blog is called The Orient Express International Luxury Caravan, which is our current trailer, "Wolfi". Our Shasta Compact "Space Sprocket" that you see above, was sold to make room for "Wolfi" and was our first baby. You will read about the our titled trailer later on as I'm trying to keep events in order of occurrence! It is said the first trailer you have is not the one you keep and that was true for us. But there was a lot of living and learning between them and there's wisdom and stories to share. 

I will tell you, the information conveyed in this blog is solely of my personal experience and the opinions expressed here are mine alone....and I do have them.
As you will read in the coming stories, you will find me to be creative, exacting, detail oriented, and fair but I know manure when I smell it and I do not suffer fools well.....at all.

Now, I have been told as a woman in her mid 50's that I don't look or act it, I have completed several home renovations over the years, thus having various contractors and subs, etc. strolling through houses we have done.  We do not flip as we live in our projects, some for many years, letting the homes speak to us as we go.  I love a good project but a project is only as good as the the people working on it and you need good people. Even if you are an experienced renovator, you can still be taken in by crooks and swindlers. It can be a mine field but if you let them stop you, they win.  

You would be wrong to tell me why something can't be done rather than find a way to do it. I can't tell you how many times I've butted heads with men who sized me up as someone who never gets her hands dirty and assume I know little about nothing.  I have been patronized, condescended to, lied to, ignored, and ripped off.  It's amazing I still have a positive attitude! One of my favorite sayings is, "You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a camper, and that's pretty close." Plus, along the way I was forced to acquire new skills, which is not a bad thing. 

I never will forget the time Dave and I pulled an all nighter hanging wallpaper in a kitchen back in the 90's.  The electrician showed up at 6am stinking drunk on the job. Being a proper Southern Lady, I inquired,"Are you here to work?" "Yup",  said The Guy to which I replied,"Not in my house you're not!" "Whaddayamean?" he sputtered. Through clenched teeth I clipped,"Get the Hell off my property and don't you ever come back!" His eyes went wide and he spewed," Little Lady (one of my favorite condescensions) you'll never get anyone to come in on this job after me!!!" 

I proceeded to cuss that man out the front door, down the walk, over the curb, and into his truck, something I had never done before to a grown man but I had alcoholic parents so I'm entitled.  It was cathartic in a way but being a Proper Christian Southern Lady, I have left out the real words here..... Of course we finished the job, just without him.  A theme that will repeat itself in this blog.

My handyman, Jack of All Trades, whom I have known and loved for 30 years and counting, Ron, once said it best, "Billie, there are two kinds of customers, those who don't know what they want but are very concerned about the cost and those who know exactly what they want and don't care what it costs... you're beyond the latter."  He is a truly great man and Pastor who has no attitude regarding reworking things and understands a work in progress. If you find a gem like him, hang on with both hands. I can't tell you how many times he's saved our bacon. You'll hear more about him later on. 

Now let me clarify something of minor importance here, I grew up poor in a low Blue Collar household with rotten teeth, three sets of clothing, and one pair of shoes. Matriculating from the Town Tramp and a Sailor who came to port and being raised by a prescription drug addicted Grandmother in the 1960's gives one certain strengths.  Being a self starter and learning from other people's mistakes are givens. I feel blessed and thankful for the prosperity in my life, that I'm able to do projects like this with the support and hands on skills of my loving husband of 32 years.

One of my greatest joys as a child was when someone in the neighborhood purchased an appliance and left the box on the curb. I would drag it home and build a play house out of it. Construction paper and Elmer's glue and I was off and playing for hours. I would camp in it in the back yard and spent endless days creating the shingles and window boxes with flowers. Little wonder why I came to vintage trailers in a creative way. I'm still doing what I've always done.
If you've ever wondered what goes into that beautiful vintage trailer you may see on the highway, camping somewhere, or at a rally, you're about to find out!

By the way, the teeth are fixed. I have a dressing room full of fine clothing, and more than one pair of shoes........

Let the stories begin!







13 comments:

  1. I love this! So glad you are doing a blog. How do I subscribe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is now a subscribe option and a counter! Wheeeeeeeee!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. The three little dots in the upper right corner allow you to save the link but I will see about a subscribe button

      Delete
  3. This is great! I enjoyed learning some backstory and I look forward to future posts:)

    -Keith

    ReplyDelete
  4. Starts out like a grand adventure. Are you sure you don't want to write a book? I love your style-writing and personal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe one day, I'll see where this goes. Thank for the compliment 😊

      Delete
  5. When we first met I had no idea what to expect as with anyone you meet for the first time. When we sat next to each other at dinner and I sat and spoke to both you and Dave I realized what wonderful, caring and truly humble people you are. It has been my good fortune to have maintained our friendship the last 3 (or is it 4) years, albeit through FB, but nonetheless, it is still a great and valued friendship. We keep missing each other when you come to Florida, but let's make it a point to get together when you come back. I love seeing pics and reading about your adventures and cannot wait to read more of your blog. Oh and yes I know about your fine clothing! CC. Love you guys. Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Already feeling anxious (in a good way) for the next entry! I can tell this is gonna be my new favorite read!!!

    ReplyDelete